By the age of four, children have built the confidence to take on the world and continue to grow in independence, self-help, and learning. They are constantly taking in new ideas and are expressing themselves more than previously. They have begun to build a sense of individuality and are more expressive in how they communicate. They are now getting ready to embark on a lifelong adventure of learning in school.
Our Pre-K program is geared toward preparing your child for the school years ahead. Our program emphasizes the importance of age appropriate academics, social skills, and self-help skills that will give children the confidence needed to enter school. The Pre-K teachers have thoughtfully outlined, structured, and mentally-stimulating lessons intended to engage the children daily by exposing them to art, music, dance, hands-on activities, read-alouds, and much more. Lessons are planned according to monthly themes and are built around the idea that children learn through their natural state of being engaged, playing, and having fun.
- Physical Development
- Continue to build on gross motor skills by riding bikes, throwing, catching, jumping, leaping, running, etc.
- Build on self-help skills such as dressing themselves, shoe-tying, feeding and cleaning up after eating, etc.
- Continue to build fine motor skills by holding a pencil correctly and using scissors
- Cognitive Development
- Vocabulary increasing daily and speech should be fully understandable
- Able to ask and answer open-ended questions
- Better able to understand sequence of events
- Build on spatial relationships and concept of time
- Introduce consequences
- Can recognize and print first name
- Can identify upper and lower case letters
- Can count and identify numbers to 10
- Social/Emotional Development
- Introduce concept of responsibility
- Continue to grow in independence
- Able to cooperate, negotiate, and problem-solve more with peers
- Express, identify, and manage emotions with self and peers
- Manners should be more apparent and used regularly
- Make and take control over personal choices
Pre-K Class Daily Schedule
Morning Circle Time
Calendar, Weather, Music and Stories
Free Choice Centers, Enrichment, or 1-on-1 with the Teacher
Afternoon Circle Time